Feature: Get Your Bastille Day on, DC-Style!
This Saturday (July 14) is Bastille Day, or National French Day, which commemorates the anniversary of the storming of the Bastille prison which is apparently a big deal. I’m not French, so I don’t really care. What I do know is DC loves a good reason to throw parties and get over-served, and based on my time in France, those folks sure love to party. I’ve done my best to compile some of the goings ons in the DC area mainly stolen from the hard work others put into posting these. But hey, I tried to give credit where due and at least I have them all in one place, so there!
- Bastille Day at the French Embassy: Leave it to the French to not celebrate Bastille Day on Bastille Day. Oh well. Head to the Embassy from 7PM-Midnight for all kinds of French Bastille Day fun. Auctions, dancing, music, French things, and more. Where: The French Embassy, 4101 Reservoir Rd NW, DC. Tickets required.
July 14th – Bastille Day
- Bastille Day at Bistrot du Coin: This place serves amazing French food and is rowdy even when it’s not Bastille Day, so this is your party place this Saturday. Tables will be moved, a DJ will come in, and the real party starts around 11pm. Where: Bistrot du Con, 1738 Connecticut Avenue NW, DC. (h/t WaPo)
- Bastille Day Party at L’Enfant: This Adams Morgan hot spot, known for their authentic “we don’t give a shit” French attitude will certainly be entertaining on Bastille Day. According to The Washington Post, “There’s a French maid race, which requires competitors to don a black-and-white dress and race to fill a glass with spoonfuls of champagne; can-can dancers perform; airlines give away tickets to Paris; and beer and food trucks offer refreshments while “Marie Antoinette” and “Louis XIV” look on. DJs provide party tunes all day, but this year’s star attraction is an appearance by Deee-Lite’s Lady Miss Kier. If you’d like to participate in the Maid Race, show up before 5 p.m. to sign up; running begins at 6 p.m.” Well that all sounds fun! Where: L’Enfant, 2000 18th Street NW, DC. (h/t WaPo)
- Bastille Day Dinner at Bistro La Bonne: Party with food specials, music, and booze from 7:00pm-10:45pm. Where: Bistro La Bonne, 1340 U Street, NW (h/t Guest of a Guest)
- 2nd Annual “Baguette Relay Race”: Head down to PAUL Bakery and Cafe in Penn Quarter for their 2nd Annual Baguette Race. Great event for the kids and families. Kids race at 10:30am and adults at 11am. Where: 801 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, DC. (h/t Greg’sListDC)
- BLT Steak French Wine Special: According to MetroMixDC, “In honor of France’s “fête nationale” BLT Steak will be offering specials on their favorite French export: wine! All day long on July 14th, French wines by the glass and the bottle will be 50% off. Save room for dessert, too, because French desserts like Opera Cake, Paris Brest, and St. Honore Cake will be $5 instead of the regular $9.” Where: BLT Steak, 1625 “Eye” St NW, DC.
- 4th annual Bastille Day Celebration at Central: Come to Michel Richard’s downtown restaurant from 5:00-10:30pm for food and drink specials, live music, and a special fixed menu. Reservations strongly suggested. Where: Central, 1001 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, DC. (h/t MetroMixDC)
- La Fête Nationale Meal at Bastille: If you must go to Alexandria, you should go for Bastille Day and eat at…Bastille! All day until 9:30pm they’ll be serving kick-ass French food. Get a reservation for sure! Via la NOVA! Where: Bastille, 1201 N. Royal Street, Alexandria, VA. (h/t Guest of a Guest)
- Bastille Day at Lavandou: Prix Fixe menu for $48, a free glass of Champagne, what more could you want? Where: Lavandou, 3321 Connecticut Ave. NW, DC.
- Petits Plats Bastille Day Feast: Head to Woodly Park for yummy French goodness. Where: Petits Plats, 653 Connecticut Ave. NW, DC.
Whew! I need a glass of champagne from just listing all that French funness. If I missed something or you want your snail eating contest, baguette sword fight, or Ultimate Beret Tossing contest listed, just let me know.